Site breadcrumb trail...
West Regional Authority
The West Regional Authority is one of eight Regional Authorities established by the Irish Government under the Local Government Act 1991 (Regional Authority Establishment Orders 1993). The Regional Authority Board comprises 27 Elected Members from the constituent Local Authorities within the region, which are Galway County Council, Mayo County Council, Galway City Council and Roscommon County Council.
The region covers a landmass of 13,801 km² and is the largest of the Regional Authority areas. It is situated on the western seaboard, with the Atlantic Ocean to the west and the River Shannon to the east. The population of the region was 445,356 in 2011 which accounts for 9.7% of the national population.
For more information on the Region and the functions of the Regional Authority please click on the links under 'In this Section'.
- About Us contains details on membership of the Regional Authority, its role and activities, the designated manager and staff.
- Profile of the Region provides an overview of the West, its location, population, landscape, employment and access to the region.
- Regional Planning Guidelines & Other Plans contains the Regional Planning Guidelines 2010 - 2022, Annual Reports, regional priorities and links to other regional plans on water, flooding and waste.
- European Projects summaries the projects which the Regional Authority are involved in and projects which are completed.
- Broadband highlights details of current broadband schemes operated by the Department of Communication, Energy and Natural Resources.
- Contact Details provides the postal, electronic and other contact details of the Regional Authority office.
- News contains items of interest including current Development Plans or Local Area Plans open to public consultation in the West Region.
- Meeting Minutes 2011-2013 holds the official minutes of the Regional Authority monthly meetings.
- Public Sector Information contains information on the Re-use of Public Sector Information, Freedom of Information Requests and Access to Environmental Information.
- Links includes websites of other Regional Authorities, Regional Assemblies, Local Authorities, National Government Departments, National, Regional and Local Agencies, Universities in the region and European Institutions.