Site breadcrumb trail...
BURIAL GROUND MAINTENANCE GRANT 2013
1.Galway county council’s public liability insurance will operate to cover the liability of Community Groups involved in the clean up / maintenance of burial grounds subject to the following conditions:
- Each group must consult with the Council’s Area Engineer regarding maintenance works to be carried out.
- Cover will not operate for demolition of walls, buildings, structures, tree felling, lopping of branches, use of chainsaws.
- Cover will not extend to any person under the age of 16 years.
- Appropriate safety measures must be taken to safeguard participants in the use of equpment / tools / ladders, etc.
- If the community group have in place any other public liability policy, any claim arising from an accident shall be against that policy.
2.A grant up to a maximum of €450 shall be made available to successful applicants in respect of each Burial Ground.
3.Guidelines for the Conservation and Care of Graveyards must be adhered to.
4.The Grant must be used for the purpose of purchasing trees, shrubs, brushes, shovels, grass cutting and other incidental items which are required to carry out maintenance works to the Burial Ground.
5.The following works are prohibited:
- Cutting of hedgerow vegetation between March 1st & August 31st (Wildlife (Amendment) Act, 2000)
- Disturbance or cleaning of gravestones or grave kerbs
- Removal of ivy from old church structures or ruins
- Laying of new pathways
6.Before approving a grant for any project, the Council must be satisfied that the Applicant is a bona fide group, representative of the area to which the application relates and that any improvement will be available to the public and not just a particular section or group.
7.PLEASE CONSULT WITH THE COUNCIL’S AREA ENGINEER REGARDING WORKS YOU PROPOSE TO CARRY OUT.
Please note that your local cemetery may be subject to the National Monuments Act or may be a protected structure under the Planning Act and therefore you may need specialist advice if undertaking any works other than routine maintenance. Please consult the Heritage Officer, Marie Mannion, Tel: 091-509198 or the Conservation Officer, Ms. Máirín Doddy, Tel: 091-509197.
Application Forms are available from the link below or by contacting the Environment Section at 091-476402 or emailing email@example.com .
Application Form for Maintenance Grant 2013
(pdf, 123 kbs, Last Updated: Tue, 03 May 2011 16:12:00 BST)