Site breadcrumb trail...
Ordnance Survey 6 Inch Maps, 1842
The Ordnance Survey was established in Britain in 1791; in 1824 the Survey established its Irish headquarters in Dublin.
The Ordnance Survey took its name from the Board of Ordnance, a military organisation, and the field surveys were carried out by men of the Royal Engineers who were based in various barracks around the country. They had to determine the boundaries of over 60,000 townlands and standardise the names of each of them.
The maps were drawn on a scale of 6 inches to one mile and published between 1833 and 1846. The 1842 Ordnance Survey 6 Inch Maps for Galway are now available here.
OS Place Name Books
John O’Donovan and Eugene Curry assisted in the authentication of local placenames. The results of these investigations are contained in the OS Place Name Books. These record townland names along with Irish names and their translation. A Database of Galway Place Names is available online. It is also available in Library Headquarters on microfilm.
Other Sites with Historical Map information
- Ireland's Historical Mapping Archive (Ordnance Survey Ireland)
- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland - Maps, Plans and Surveys
- National Library of Ireland - Collections - Maps and Maps Conservation
- Clare County Library - Historical Maps of County Clare: Ordnance Survey 6-Inch Maps, 1842
The digitized maps are the intellectual property of:
Galway County Council
Galway and Mayo Institute of Technology
National University of Ireland, Galway The data on monuments is the copyright of the National Monuments ServiceThese maps may be used free of charge in publications that are non-commercial. Such a publication must
- contain this copyright statement
- contain a reference to this web site
- state that these maps are available free of charge at this web address.