Site breadcrumb trail...
Winter Maintenance Road Gritting
During the period from October through to April weather conditions may create frost and ice on roads and make travel on roads more hazardous than normal. There is an onus on all road users to eliminate non essential driving and to exercise extreme care if required to drive in such conditions.
Galway County Council monitors road conditions through the winter period and has organised a road gritting regime on specific roads listed below if conditions require gritting. These are priority routes and while every effort will be made to have these routes gritted by morning it cannot be guaranteed as weather conditions i.e. rain, can prevent gritting.
Drivers are warned not to assume that these roads have been gritted
The fact that a road has been gritted with salt does not mean that it is safe to assume that a person can drive as if no frost/ice had occurred, the same level of care as in frost/ice conditions is required.
- M6 Doughiska to Roscommon Co Border Ballinasloe (gritted by M6 Concession Co.)
- M18 Gort to County Boundary
- N17 Mayo Co Boundary to Galway City Boundary at Twomileditch
- N18 Claregalway via Oranmore to Gort
- N59 City Boundary at Busypark to Clifden to Leenane to Mayo County Boundary
- N60 Ballymoe (Roscommon Co Co.)
- N63 Roscommon Road County Boundary to Loughgeorge (plus R365 at Mountbellew)
- N65 (was N6) from Kilmeen Cross to Loughrea and N65 Kilmeen Junction to County Boundary at Portumna.
- N66 Loughrea to Gort plus Loughrea to M6 via Loughrea Bypass and Link linkup with the M6.Carrowkeel Junction Total 34km
- N67 Kilcolgan to County Boundary
- N84 Ballindooley Cross to Mayo County Boundary
- N83 Tuam to Dunmore to the Roscommon border
- R332 Tuam to Horsleap Cross
- R334 Headford to Mayo County Boundary towards Cross
- R336 City Boundary Barna to Leitirmoir
- R339 Briarhill Junction to Monivea to Menlough
- R360 Dunmore to Ballymoe
- R446 (was N6) County Boundary at Ballinasloe to Kilmeen Junction
- R446 (was N6) Loughrea to Oranmore and onto Doughiska Roundabout near Galway Clinic
- R458 (was N18) Gort to County Boundary.
Major Emergency Plan - Flooding sub plan 2012
(pdf, 157 kbs, Last Updated: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 12:35:00 BST)