Bealtaine Events taking place across County Galway this May 2018
What is Bealtaine? BEALTAINE 2018
The month of May belongs to the Bealtaine festival, celebrating creativity in older age! Thousands of older people now take part in the Bealtaine festival. From dance to cinema, painting to theatre, Bealtaine showcases the talents and creativity of both first-time and professional older artists.
Each year, Age & Opportunity invite local authorities, arts centres, libraries, active retirement groups, care settings and community groups from every part of the country to run Bealtaine events that celebrate creativity in older age.
What is happening in County Galway?
This year Galway County Council as part of its Age Friendly Cultural Programme has decided to produce a listing of Bealtaine events being held to highlight and create awareness of the many wonderful events and activities taking place throughout County Galway.
Once again we are inviting groups and organisations to host an event during May to celebrate Bealtaine. We will include your event in the listing.
What can I do?
We welcome all your ideas for events or activities, some examples are:
• Have fun with food or indeed anything gastronomy related to celebrate the designation of Galway as European Region of Gastronomy 2018.
• Hold a music and dance session
• Have a poetry or craft day
• Hold an art exhibition
• Have a story telling session
• Celebrate Irish culture or other cultures in your area
• Celebrate the history & heritage of your area
• Have an evening of theatrics
• Hold a digital camera workshop
How can I get involved?
1. You must complete the application form giving us the details of your event.
2. You can download an application form at www.galway.ie/bealtaine or phone 091 509160/509201 for one to be posted to you.
3. Email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th April 2018 or post it to the address below.
4. We will then include your event in the listing.
Tips for Holding Bealtaine Events
• Involve as many people and groups in the planning of the event such as local clubs, sports or community centres, primary and secondary schools, the local library and local businesses.
• Think of the environmental impact of your event. Contact the Galway County Council Environment Section on 091 509510 or email@example.com to get advice on ‘Greening’ your event.
• Try to promote the event as much as possible for example by using posters, flyers, church newsletter, local media, social media and so on.
• See what others have done
Log onto www.galway.ie/bealtaine to see the old format brochure from last year or the national Bealtaine Festival www.bealtaine.com
Community, Enterprise & Economic Dev Unit, Galway County Council, County Hall, Prospect Hill, Galway.
Tel: 091 509160/509201