Green Ribbon Campaign
Green Ribbon Campaign 2018
With May being Green Ribbon month, Galway County Council & Healthy Galway County are busy distributing Green Ribbons received from SeeChange. Make sure to pick up a ribbon from any of our area offices or libraries across the county.
Nationally, more than 500,000 Green Ribbons are being distributed this May, sparking a national conversation about mental health in homes, boardrooms, canteens, clubhouses and college campuses throughout the country. The Green Ribbon Campaign aims to get people talking openly about common mental health problems, encouraging everyone to talk, listen, feel less alone or to seek support.
Now in its sixth year, the Green Ribbon campaign has come to symbolise mental health awareness, helping to combat the stigma associated with mental health problems. Research conducted ahead of last year’s campaign showed that 4 in 10 people would conceal a mental health difficulty from family, friends or colleagues. But you don’t need to be an expert to start talking about mental health or have all the answers. Sometimes the most helpful thing you can do is to let someone know you are there for them and simply listen.
What you can do to support Green Ribbon this May
• Make sure to pick up a ribbon from any of our County Council area offices or libraries right across the county.
• Alternatively,you can Order Green Ribbons (free of charge) from the SeeChange website www.seechange.ie/green-ribbon/and distribute them among your family or other networks.
• Educate yourself on mental health and stigma by visiting the SeeChange website
• Light your building up green.
• Organise your own Green Ribbon event or incorporate them into your existing activities this May.
• Wear your Green Ribbon, whether it be in your workplace, your home or at college. By wearing a Green Ribbon, you are giving both visible and positive silent support to those who may have mental health difficulties and allow them to gain the confidence to start talking openly.
Show some support on Social Media this May
• Follow the campaign on Twitter (@SeeChangeIRL), Facebook (facebook.com/SeeChangeIreland/) or Instagram (www.instagram.com/seechangeirl/).
• Use the hash tag #GreenRibbonIRL
About the Green Ribbon Campaign
The Green Ribbon campaign is delivered by See Change (www.seechange.ie) which aims to reduce stigma associated with mental health problems and challenge discrimination, by;
• Creating an environment where people are more open and positive in their attitudes and behaviour towards mental health.
• Promoting a greater understanding and acceptance of, and support for people with mental health problems.
• Creating an environment where people with experience of mental health problems are empowered to gain equality, respect and rights.
See Change and the Green Ribbon campaign receive funding from the HSE National Office for Suicide Prevention as part of the stigma reduction activity taking place within Connecting for Life, Ireland’s National Strategy to Reduce Suicide, 2015-2020.