- Other relevant links
- Contact Details
- Grant Schemes
- Community Competitions and Awards
- Economic Development
- Local Community Development Committee (LCDC)
- Social Inclusion
- Public Participation Network (PPN)
- Local Sports Partnership
Galway County Council support business at a local level by providing support services in the following areas:
- Planning/Fire Safety
- Rates and environmental services
- Digital Mapping/ Geographic Information Systems
- Marketing & Promotion
- Recreational & amenity areas and tourism
The role of the local authority is to promote the County as a location for investment.
Details on Local Authority Services to Business
Local Enterprise Office
Galway County Council operates a Local Enterprise Office which provides the following financial and non financial supports to micro enterprise based in County Galway.
- Direct financial supports to micro businesses*.(Micro Enterprises are businesses with 10 or less employees.)
- Advice on a range of alternative funding options available.
- Business information, advisory services and enterprise support.
- High-quality training to meet the needs of your business including; Start Your Own Business, Managing Your Business e.g. Marketing, Sales, Financial Management, Strategy and Business Planning.
- Mentoring services for you and your business with experienced experts.
- Guidance on the services most relevant to support the growth and development of your business.
- Connections to the appropriate State resources for your business including relevant agencies such as; Department of Social Protection: Enterprise Supports, Microfinance Ireland: Business Loans, Revenue: Seed Capital Scheme, Education and Training Boards: Business Courses, Credit Review Office: When your bank has refused credit
- Progression pathways for high-potential companies to Enterprise Ireland.
- Advice on local property solutions for start-ups and business expansions.
- Enterprise events.
- Effective business networking.
- Entrepreneurship education in the local community.
Our website https://www.localenterprise.ie/galway gives you access to online information about our supports and services.
The Planning Department have the following units;
- Forward planning which sets the planning framework including the County Development Plan and Local Area Plans. These documents set the policies for development and provide for the zoning of land where appropriate.
- Development Management which adjudicates on planning applications and applications for planning exemptions as well as facilitating pre-planning meeting in respect of proposed development.
- Enforcement considers complaints in respect of development and takes any necessary actions on unauthorised development or non-compliance with the conditions of a planning permission.
- Building control monitors compliance with the building regulations and standards including issues such as disability access etc.
Planning application forms, Weekly application lists, Planning reports, Local Area Plans and matters of advice relating to planning are available from the two Councils. This documentation is available on the websites of the two Local Authorities.
Any building or premises that was built or substantially altered or had a substantial change of use since July 1992 may be required to comply with the Building Control Act 1990 and so may need a Fire Safety Certificate. A Fire Safety Certificate can only be issued by the Local Authority.
The Council roads sections looks after road design, local road projects and general maintenance. The roads section also issues licences such as road openings, heavy loads and the erection of scaffolding.
Since 1/1/2014 Irish Water has taken over the Water services functions and responsibilities of Galway County Council and is now the National Water Services Authority. From 29/4/2014 all queries in relation to water services will be received by Irish Water and contact details for Irish Water are to be found by clicking here. The Local Authority will continue to deal with queries in relation to new connections and group water schemes but all day to day operational queries must be phoned in to Irish Water at 1890 278 278.
Commercial rates are a property based tax levied by Local Authorities on the occupiers of commercial or industrial properties. Income generated by commercial rates is used to fund local services including footpaths, lighting, playgrounds and sporting facilities.
The Environment Section of the Council looks after environmental enforcement and littering, Refuse and recycling, waste regulations, water and air quality and licensing to protect against air pollution and water discharge. Community Wardens work/ liaise with the Environment Section of the Council in regard to the monitoring and enforcement of environmental legislation and Regulations such as Waste Management Act, Litter Pollution Act, Water Pollution Acts, Air Pollution Act, Farm Plastics Regulations, Derelict Sites, Bye-Laws, etc. The Wardens also assist in the promotion of environmental awareness measures and campaigns in the local communities and schools.
Digital Mapping / Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
The Council offers a range of Digital Mapping services. These Geographical Information Systems provide "mapped" data eliminating the need for people to visit County Hall to view hard-copy paper maps. CSO demographic data is also available from the Local Authorities. – This can assist businesses who need demographics when preparing business plans.
Marketing & Promotion: Enterprise Space/Made in Galway/Parking
The Council is responsible for managing market licenses within the Towns in Galway. The Council has also some retail concession space in different locations in the County.
The Made in Galway initiative aims to promote the range of quality produce that is found in Galway. This includes an online directory of Galway producers/trade shows/exhibitions and other initiatives to encourage consumers to purchase Galway made products.
The Council provides and maintain public parking spaces in the Towns of Galway.
The County Council provides direct funding support to enterprise initiatives in their respective areas. This can include the support of events/festivals, development of infrastructure, support of enterprise/economic activities.
Single Point of Contact for Business
Galway County Council operates a single point of contact service for business to assist you reach the most relevant person in our organisation to handle your query.