What do we do?
1. Develop medium to long term plans for the County and local areas through consultation with the public. This ensures that development is planned in accordance with the principles of good planning, sustainability and national guidelines.
2. Make planning decisions based on the above mentioned plans.
3. Investigate and prosecute unauthorised development where necessary
4. Promote the identification, protection, preservation and enhancement of the heritage of County Galway.
Where to find us?
Planning & Sustainable Development Unit,
Áras an Chontae,
Prospect Hill, Galway H91 H6KX
There is a public counter:
- For General queries
- Submitting New Planning Applications
If you are interested in a particular site you can avail of our free online pre-planning report service - Online Planning Systems. You will receive back a written report giving you general information about your site.
We provide planning advice on making a planning application fortnightly with the Area Planner by an appointment only basis.
If you wish to book a Pre-Planning meeting, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Request the Online Pre-Planning Report (or if the site has a previous planning reference this will also suffice)
- Complete the Pre-Planning Form and return it together with the documents listed in the form to email@example.com
The following documents give advice and guidelines on the information required prior to submitting a planning application.
Ordering & Viewing a Planning File
It is open to any person to view a planning file, old or new. New planning applications can be viewed in the planning office from the day of receipt and are scanned onto our website within 2 weeks (see planning query system). Due to storage capacity planning files usually older than 4 months must be ordered in advance to view at the public counter, if ordering a scanned file, a €10 charge is applicable. Phone 091 509308 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to order a planning file.
Commenting on a Planning Application (Submission/Observation)
It is open to any person to comment on a planning application. Comments should be made in writing within 5 weeks of the planning application being lodged with the Planning Office and there is a €20.00 fee payable.
Appealing a Decision of The Planning Authority
The planning applicant, any person who made a written comment on the planning application or an adjoining landowner (if granted leave to appeal) can appeal a decision if they so wish to An Bord Pleanála within 4 weeks from the date that the Planning Office made the decision. To contact An Bord Pleanála log onto their website at www.pleanala.ie or phone 1890 275 175
(Lo-call) or (01) 858 8100.
Notice is hereby given that Galway County Council has adopted a revised Development Contribution Scheme for the County of Galway in accordance with the provisions of Section 48 of the Planning & Development Act, 2000, as amended. This Scheme was adopted on the 29 February 2016.
The Development Contribution Scheme is available during normal office hours at Galway County Council Area Offices, Local Libraries and at the Planning Section, Galway County Council, Áras an Chontae, Prospect Hill, Galway. The Scheme is also available on Galway County Council’s website at www.galway.ie.
Previous Development Contribution Scheme: Adopted Development Contributions Scheme 2010