COVID-19 Service Contacts
Currently the following service provisions are in place:
CORPORATE CUSTOMER SERVICES & FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
Correspondence applications, documentation and other written communications can continue to be made as normal subject to normal postal services continuing. See our COVID-19 Service Updates page for more info.
- Customer Services
The motor tax office will remain closed to the public until further notice.
Motortax renewals can be processed online by logging on to www.motortax.ie Your pin no is the last six digits of your Vehicle Registration Cert for a previously taxed vehicle. This number is located on the top right hand corner of your Vehicle Registration Cert and begins with the letter “C”.
For all brand new/imported vehicles your pin number is the last 6 digits of your chassis number.
In the event that you are unable to process your application online please contact the Department of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare at 0818 411 412.
Postal applications can also be sent to the Motortax Offices at Galway, Ballinasloe or An Cheathrú Rua. Please do not send cash in the post.
If you have any queries, please contact us on the following:
- An Cheathrú Rua
All libraries are closed until further notice. No public are allowed enter the libraries and books to be returned can be returned by books drop if there is one. Please Note: Newspread deliveries are suspended until further notice.
eServices are still available. Library members can access eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines and eNewspapers from home. Library staff available to help with patrons having any difficulty accessing same for any reason.
- Library HQ
- City Library
- Housing Services
The Housing public counter will remain closed until further notice. Members of the public are requested, where possible, to contact the Housing unit by phone, via email, or to visit our website. Correspondence can also be submitted by post.
- Housing Applications
- Housing Assistance Payments (HAP)
- Housing Grants
- Housing Tenancy & Estate Management
- Housing Maintenance
The Housing Maintenance Response will operate on a restricted priority basis.
Tenants may contact the Housing Maintenance section by phone or via email.
All Housing Maintenance requests will be subject to assessment to allow critical requests to be prioritised. Critical items include electrical faults/plumbing issues/heating system faults/significant building fabric or structural issues.
All other requests will be logged and dealt with at a later stage.
Consideration will be given to elderly and/or vulnerable tenants as part of the request assessment process.
- Housing Rent
If your income has been affected by the Covid-19 pandemic and you require a reassessment of your rent, please complete the relevant form as a Galway County Council tenant or HAP tenant and submit same by post or email.
Galway County Council Tenant
COVID19 Rent Adjustment Form - Galway Co Co Tenant
COVID19 Rent Adjustment Form - HAP Tenancy
Public Notice in respect of HAP tenancies Homeless Services
In light of the COVID-19 situation and recent announcements made by Government in relation to measures being taken to combat the spread of Covid-19, HAP tenants are advised of the following information, to ensure the continuity of HAP tenancies:
If a HAP tenant does not experience any change in financial circumstances as a result of the steps being taken to combat the spread of COVID-19, there should be no change to the operation of the scheme – HAP payments will continue to be made to the landlord and the tenant’s differential rent will continue to be collected;
- If a tenant does experience a change in financial circumstances on foot of COVID-19, those tenants should contact the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and apply for the relevant supports https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cb3726-jobseekers-payments/
- To offset a requirement to present in person in local authority offices, documentation received from DEASP should then be scanned / photographed and submitted to your local authority as soon as possible as proof of a change in financial circumstances;
- The possibility of local authority staffing levels being reduced may lead to delays in differential rent amounts being amended – this will not affect your HAP payment to your landlord;
- Differential rent arrears that accumulate following the submission of DEASP documentation during the COVID-19 measures will be re-assessed and rectified, as appropriate, by your local authority in due course– this will not affect your HAP payment to your landlord.
In the interests of reducing direct contact, HAP tenants should check with their local authority before presenting in person at any local authority offices, as it might be possible to carry out your business over the phone or electronically.
The Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government recognises the additional pressures facing both landlords and tenants in relation to the Covid-19 crisis and is working with local authorities and the HAP Shared Services Centre to ensure the continuation of HAP tenancies during this period.
Planning queries can be made via phone (091) 509308 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Planning applications can be made by post only. In the event that the application is of a larger nature, please contact the Planning office by email or phone for an appointment.
- Planning applications
- Planning Enforcement
- Forward Planning Policy
Roads and Water Services
Customers should avoid visiting council offices throughout the County. Contact should be made by phone or email.
Priority will be given to keeping the road network open and safe for road users. Non-essential works may be curtailed or suspended if it becomes necessary to do so.
Water Services will be prioritised to ensure that quality drinking water is supplied and sewerage services are maintained. Non-essential works may be curtailed or suspended if it becomes necessary to do so.
Recreation and Amenity
All parks and open spaces are closed in compliance with guidance issued by the HSE/Public Health to prevent the spread of the virus.
All playgrounds are closed.
- Renville Park, Oranmore – Closed
- Dunlo Recreational Park, Ballinasloe - Closed
- Pallas Grounds Tuam – Closed
- Leisure Centres - Ballinasloe & Tuam (operated by Coral Leisure) – Closed
- Playgrounds – Closed
ECONOMIC, RURAL & COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT (ERCD) including REGENERATION & ARTS OFFICES
Supporting Galway Communities to Thrive
Services Limited except for COVID-19 Helpdesk & Community Response
ERCD Staff are redeployed in support of Galway County Council’s COVID-19 Community Response Forum providing dedicated community helpdesk, referral and co-ordination services at this time.
ERCD services, other than the Helpdesk, are greatly reduced and operating on a limited basis only.
The Community Response Forum is a collaboration of State and Community Groups to provide support to vulnerable Members of our community, and part of the National ‘Community Call’. The helpdesk is for vulnerable members of the community, people ‘cocooning’ or those living alone who may need help to access deliveries of groceries, medicine and fuels or transport to essential medical appointments.Call 1800 92 88 94 (Freephone) Lines Open 9.00am to 6.00pm (Monday to Sunday) Email email@example.com
The Community Response HelpDesk also monitors Offers of Assistance from Local Organisations submitted on http://www.galway.ie/en/
Individuals interested in Volunteering to assist with COVID-19 Community Resopnse can contact Galway Volunteer Centre. https://volunteergalway.ie/
ERCD Services listed below are greatly reduced and operating on a limited basis during this time; General Contact Number: 091-509521 (Monday to Friday 9.00-5.00pm) CE-Staff@galwaycoco.ie
- Arts Office and Creative Ireland Co-ordination;
- Atlantic Economic Corridor Development (AEC) https://www.atlanticeconomiccorridor.ie/
- Community & Rural Grant Schemes and Services;
- Community Competitions and Awards;
- Economic Development & Services;
- Galway Age Friendly Alliance Co-ordination & Strategy;
- Galway County Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) and LCDC Sub-Groups and Local Economic & Community Plan (LECP)
- Healthy County Galway Co-ordination and Healthy Ireland Programme;
- Outdoor Recreation Schemes;
- Rural & Urban Regeneration Office;
- Social Inclusion Office & Support Programmes;
- Tourism Development;
- Town and Village Renewal Schemes.
Galway Local Sports Partnership (LSP) is continuing to provide limited services in accordance with Sports Ireland & HSE policies. Free Activities and Programmes available on-line. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or Katie Coydre email@example.com
Follow: @galwayLSP (Twitter), @galwaysportspartnership (FB) and galwayactive on Instagram for updates. http://www.galwayactive.ie/index.php
Galway Public Participation Network (PPN) Staff are available but, are prioritising support for the COVID-19 Community Response Forum and ‘Community Call’ https://firstname.lastname@example.org
Environment and Climate Action
- Environmental Services
The essential services of the Environment department have been prioritised and will continue to be operated, mainly on a remote basis. These services include:
- Water quality sampling.
- Waste management and enforcement.
- Dog pound
- Veterinary services, including Food Safety.
PUTTING OUT YOUR BINS
Your waste collection service provider will be able to update you or answer any queries you may have in relation to ongoing household waste collection services.
Please be advised that it has been agreed in accordance with condition 6.6.12 of the household Waste Collection Permits that no time limit will apply to the collection of household kerbside waste for the duration of the current COVID -19 health crisis.
HANDLING OF WASTE BINS WHEN SELF-ISOLATING
While self-isolating it is important that any waste arising is dealt with in accordance with guidelines as set out by the HSE below.
- Put all personal waste, including used tissues, masks and all cleaning waste in a plastic rubbish bag.
- Tie the bag when it is almost full. Place the plastic bag in a second bin bag and tie the bag.
- Leave the bag somewhere safe. The bags should be left for 3 days before collection.
- Dispose of other waste the way you usually would.
The network of bring banks throughout the county are currently in operation. However this may change as the Covid-19 crisis evolves. Check for updates on our website.
When using the sites please respect other users and observe social distancing protocols. If the banks are full, please do not leave items at the site. Bring the material home and report the banks to email@example.com or 091 509510.
The recycling centres at Tuam, Clifden and Ballinasloe are closing from 1st April, 2020 due to Covid-19. This will be reviewed after 5th May, 2020.
When using the sites please respect other users and observe social distancing protocols. Contact Barna Recycling at 091 771619 with any queries.
For all information relating to the Recycling Centres, please click here.