About Galway County LCDC
Putting People First sets out reforms to local government to provide it with a more central role in economic and local community development. The Local Government Reform Act 2014 gave legislative effective to these commitments including the establishment of Local Community Development Committees (LCDC’s) in each local authority administrative area.
The Galway County Local Community Development Committee (LCDC) was formally established by resolution of Galway County Council on the 23rd June 2014 and has 19 members from the following sectors (both public and private sector socio-economic partners):
- Local Authority Members
- Local Authority Officials
- State Agencies
- Local and Community Development bodies
- Community and Voluntary; Social Inclusion and Environmental Interests
- Employers / Business Interest
- Agriculture / Farming Interest
The LCDC will select a Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson from among its members. The Chairperson is Tom Turley and the Vice-Chairperson is Dan Dowling.
The LCDC receives administrative and technical support from Galway County Council. The Chief Officer, assigned by the Chief Executive to support and assist this committee in the exercise of its functions is Alan Farrell , Acting Director of Services, Planning ,Community Enterprise and Economic Development. The key function of the Chief Officer is to work jointly with the Chairperson to provide guidance and strategic direction for the LCDC.
Functions of Galway County LCDC
Galway County LCDC has been set up to bring about a more co-ordinated approach to the management of local development and community funding in Galway County. The committee has a number of functions amongst which are:
- To prepare the community elements and review the economic elements of a six year Local Economic and Community Plan (LECP) for Galway County.
- To co-ordinate, manage and oversee the implementation of local community development programmes including the governments Social Inclusion Community and Activation Programme ( SICAP).
More detailed functions of the LCDC are set out under Section 128B of the Local Government Reform Act 2014.